Monday, August 16, 2010

Park Chan-wook's "Oldboy"

Films from Asian countries rarely get widespread acclaim in America.  Well, more correctly stated, films from ANY country other than America does not get the respect it should.  I'm not sure if it is because American's are too impatient to read a subtitled film or if they are too ignorant to understand anything other than Hollywood manufactured glitter.  Don't get me wrong, I love Hollywood.  Some of the greatest films in the world were produced right here on American soil.  My point is that we as educated, intelligent entertainment seekers should be willing to look outside of our comfort zones to discover something that may rock our world.  I have seen a lot of foreign films in my almost 28 years of existence.  Some I feel have been too subtle and slow.  Others I have felt were way over my head because I didn't understand the message or the cultural importance it had to its country.  These feelings are not my fault.  They are the product of my limited, American experience.  However, I recently found a Korean film that has entered my list of all-time favorite foreign films that is so compelling, so twisted, so heartbreaking that I had to sit in silence during the credits to really absorb what I just saw.

Oldboy is a story of a man who is imprisoned for 15 years in a hotel room without recollection of how he got there, why he was there, or who could have imprisoned him.  After those 15 years, he is mysteriously released and sets himself on a mission to find out who did this to him and to exact revenge.  As he searches for answers, he enlists help from an old friend and a beautiful stranger.  The answers he finds and his bloody path to redemption all revolve around the questions of if revenge really brings you peace and how will love carry you through life.

I cannot give many more details without completely ruining your experience.  All I can ask is for you to prepare yourself for an unpredictable journey with Oh Dae-su, the main character.  The viewer suffers as he suffers.  The viewer loves as he loves.  The viewer breaks as he breaks.  All of this is accomplished by the masterful hand of director Park Chan-wook.  Park is well known for his Vengeance Trilogy which includes Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy, and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance.  Park's latest film, Thirst has also become a landmark film that has helped redefine the vampire genre back to its rightful place (unlike the tween crap that is the Twilight saga).  Park has a way of bringing the excitement and horror of revenge to life in a way that the audience can truly relate to.  He doesn't try to soften the blow or hide his intent.  Everything is lain in front of the viewer to that his message is clear.

I want to apologize for how short and vague this entry is.  As I stated before, I cannot, in good conscience, give anymore details about this film.  I can, and will, strongly encourage you to see this magnificent film.  When you do, keep an open mind and a sharp eye because what you will see is visceral and powerful.  I feel very few American films and directors have the guts and strength to show an audience the dark and horrible side of humanity without going for the cheap gore or scare (this coming from an avid horror fan).  Oldboy has a strong statement and a solid purpose that is a cinematic achievement.

To see a trailer for Oldboy, click the title of this entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment