Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Apocalyptica - "Farewell"

Apocalyptica is a metal band comprised of classically trained  cellists made famous by covering Metallica on their debut album "Plays Metallica by Four Cellos."  Their success with this album lead to recording original works, both completely instrumental and with guest vocalists from rock and metal bands from around the world.


"Farewell" is a song that, from the first time I heard it, gave me chills and brought me to tears.  It is a melancholy song that conveys deep love and sadness throughout.  From the opening bars, you get a sense that this is a song written in memory of a lost loved one.  Eicca Toppinen, Paavo Lötjönen, and Perttu Kivilaakso open the song with a quiet elegance that leaves the listener with a clear understanding that this is a song of lament.  The dark and ominous notes haunt you as it gradually builds into what could be considered its chorus.  The deep, dark notes are perfectly married to the higher lead melody.  From there, rock drums are added to bring another element to the already intense piece.  Mikko Sirén's simple, yet powerful drumming  gives "Farewell" the feeling of an intense, modern metal ballad.  The songs crescendo builds to a tear inducing climax with the melody screaming its love for the one it lost.  This grandeur slowly fades to silence, leaving the listener paralyzed with feelings of intense sorrow.


No amount of words can every fully describe how much this song has pierced the essence of my soul.  I just hope that if you give this a listen that it can touch your heart as it did mine.  


Click the title for a link to the song on YouTube.

4 comments:

  1. I have to agree wholeheartedly. This song isn't like their others, which may be amazing, but lack the feeling and power this song conveys. Every time I hear it, I get chills. It fills me with sadness, hope, and fear all at the same time. It's truly a masterpiece, and in my opinion, their best work to date.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Song is so amazing.
    Few Apocalyptica songs can convey the scope and magnitude of this song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the most powerfully emotional song that I have ever heard. I never grow tired of hearing it, and the emotional effect it brings on never fades. It truly does paralyze you.
    I told my wife to make sure this song is played at my funeral when my time comes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I weep every single time I hear this amazing piece of music.

    ReplyDelete