Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Avenged Sevenfold - "I Won't See You Tonight (Parts 1 & 2)"

Avenged Sevenfold is a hard rock band that has transcended various genres in the metal world since their inception in 1999.  Originally more of a metalcore sound, the band has taken on a more guitar driven, hard rock sound as the years progressed.  While some attribute this "style change" as selling out when they became famous, it is more of a chance for the band to mature their sound as their musical abilities progress.

I was first introduced to this band, as with most of my metal repertoire, in college through my radio show.  One of the first tracks that my friend showed me was "I Won't See You Tonight (Part 1)" from the "Waking the Fallen" album.  I was blown away by the intensity of this song.  It's not a hard song by any means, but could almost be compared to a ballad (but not in the "love song" sense).  Rather, it is the words of this song that are deep and heavy.  To simply state the theme, this is a song about suicide and the thoughts and feelings of the person who is planning to take their own life.  The lyrics themselves are nothing new.  In fact, they are very similar to other songs that talk about suicide written in a letter to a friend or family member.  "Cry alone, I've gone away.  No more night, no more pain.  I've gone alone, took all my strength.  But I've made the change, I won't see you tonight."  It is the intensity and commitment to the theme that singer M. Shadows delivers which makes this song so amazing.  It is a deep and painful look inside the mind of someone who feels there is nothing left in the world for him (Click the title of this entry to listen to Part 1).

Now, as some of you may have noticed, there is a Part 2 to this song (Click here to listen to Part 2).  Where Part 1 was the depressing, reaching out for help kind of song, Part 2 is about the aftermath of the suicide.  This song is very hard and angry told through the eyes of the person who found their deceased friend and the note.  "Come back to me, this is unconceivable.  Breaking apart the ones you love.  Hate runs deep for what you've done to us.  Left alone through suicide."

People criticize songs about suicide stating that they are romanticizing death and making it okay for people to take their own lives.  However, I feel this song is very unique because, as far as I know, there has never been a song told from the survivors view point.  It takes the "romantic" view of suicide and turns it on itself, completing the picture of what suicide actually does to everyone around.  I think Avenged Sevenfold should be commended for this intense portrayal of what suicide is and the power it holds in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment