Sunday, April 25, 2010

Demon Hunter - "Not I"

This entry is being made for two reasons: #1. I genuinely like this song and wanted to post on it. #2. Recent events surrounding ignorance and hate that I have encountered on social media websites really fired me up.  This song popped up on my iPod and it resonated with how I was and am currently feeling regarding people who seem to proudly share their bigoted, hateful, and/or racist comments on the internet.

As some of you in the world know, Demon Hunter is a Christian metal band.  Those that are just learning this and never knew that Christian metal existed are probably pretty confused right now.  If you are a metal fan, you really should give this genre a try.  Some of your favorite bands may be a Christian band and you would have never known.  It is the same aggressiveness and loud music, just with positive lyrics.

"Not I" leaves nothing for guesses.  It is a song about standing up for what you believe in.  That belief could be God, equality, ending hate...anything.  For me, this song fired me up regarding my stance against intolerance and hate.  This country has suffered from enough ignorance and violent acts against other people.  These intolerant people "act" in the name of their God/god and damage every step forward we have made as a modern society.  These people then turn around and teach their children these same "values," if they can be called that.  Literally, ignorance is breeding ignorance.  This cycle will NEVER end unless people stand up for what is right and end the vicious cycle of hatred.  I don't care if you are Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Atheist, Gay, Straight, Trans-gender, Latino, Chinese, Black, White, Purple or Green...We all share this world and we must get along if we are to keep it.

I don't want to leave this post short, but to be honest, there really isn't much more for me to say about this song.  I am posting the lyrics below so you can all understand what this song means to me regarding my feelings about hate and intolerance:

So now you're suffering the fallacy of what you said
When you uncover the depression from where you've tread
Breathe over the glass you wrote on
Swallow all that you waste your throat on
You wear the mark and wave the banner they made with sin
Revealing every single lie that you've been breeding within
Wash over the skin you've broken
Think over the tone you spoke in


So lost in your affliction/addiction
The solemn comfort of your grave
If you close your eyes, the light can't take it away


Not I - I won't conform to what I see in you
Not I - I won't surrender what I am
Not I - And even if it was a part of me
Not I - I'll never be that way again


The blind will follow on the path that you created in vain
No guiding light, but just the shadow of the dead will remain
Dig open the the pain you're hiding
Give your hand to the faith you're fighting
The void you suffer is a curse forever bleeding inside
Now you embrace the fatal sickness you should despise
Remember the day you lost that
Where is the shame that will bring your soul back


Reach back behind your pride
And pull the thorn from the burning pain in your side


Sing me a new song
A broken song of redemption and regret
Sing me a new song
And beg for all the mercy you can get

No comments:

Post a Comment